Monday, January 21, 2013

Pats fan abandoning ship?


I have been admittedly gaga for Tom Brady his whole career and a Patriots fan since he’s come to town. But this team has done enough lately to really make me question my loyalty.

1. Bill Belichick’s refusal to speak to Steve Tasker for CBS after Sunday night’s loss shows us once again that Belichick is a sore loser. And as Shannon Sharpe and Frank Schwab reminds us, this is not the first time he’s done something like this. Coach, be a good sport. Your team has won this game five times in the last dozen years and the other coach spoke each time. Everybody loses. Get over it.

I’m tired of Coach Belichick’s antics, any time the microphone is on. You have a dream job. Be a professional. Smile once in a while.

2. Tom Brady made a dirty play during the game. At the end of the first half, Brady was scrambling and went into a slide. He raised his leg up at the oncoming defender like Ty Cobb spiking the second baseman. That bothered me. I’ve never seen this by an NFL quarterback.


3. Several Patriots were honored by being selected to the Pro Bowl and most of them have pulled out. Tom Brady withdrew because of injury. What injury? “The nature of the injury is unclear.” Winning the Conference Championship is your ticket out of the meaningless Pro Bowl game and since you lost, you should go. Just another instance of them being sore losers and poor sports.

4. I’ve been saying for years that Tom Brady is the best quarterback in the league and the best all time. It’s true that he orchestrates the best offense in the league, no question. He is the reason. They blow teams out of the water on a routine basis. But in an important game when the game is close? On 3rd and 4 and 4th and 4, the end of the first half, and several other instances yesterday, Tom Brady makes either poor decisions or very poor throws in very important situations. . He never throws deep and he was significantly compromised by the weather yesterday while Joe Flacco played a perfect game. I remember vividly in the loss to the 49ers last month, in the fourth quarter on a critical 4th and 2, Danny Woodhead (or another running back ) was wide open five yards away and Brady threw it over his head. In all their close games the last few years he doesn’t make the winning throw. I haven’t seen a clutch performance by Tom Brady in a very long time.

If my team was trailing in the fourth quarter and needed a touchdown, there are honestly many quarterbacks I would rather have than Tom Brady to lead a long drive. Aaron Rodgers, Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, Eli Manning and Joe Flacco would all be above him on my list. I wouldn’t ever say that four years ago.

5. The whole Spygate thing was cheating. It didn’t bother me much earlier (if you ain’t cheatin’ you ain’t tryin’), but it’s an example that this organization has been a bit squirrelly in the past.

I love Rob Gronkowski and Vince Wilfork. But the rest of the Patriots (including Tom Brady) make it very easy to root against them, and I don’t think I care to defend them anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment