Saturday, January 19, 2013

why hockey is the best sport ever


Growing up in Vermont, I appreciate hockey. I was on my first team at the age of 5. Though my career was short, it was my favorite sport I ever played. I went to the University of Vermont hockey games nearly every week growing up and in high school I played in the pep band. I once got nailed in the head by a flying puck while watching a game with my fourth grade teacher. Currently, I’m a reporter for high school and college boys and girls hockey games in the Green Mountain State.

I don't write about hockey much. But anybody who has been to one will tell you that hockey is the best sport to watch in person. I love the NFL, baseball, and NBA. But as the NHL season finally kicks off today, I thought this an opportune time to list 17 ways that hockey is the greatest sport.

1. Anyone can run on grass and kick a ball. Strap on skates and chase each other on ice with sticks, now you have real men.

2. No cheerleaders.

3. Arenas are large but you can still get a good view almost anywhere you sit. And the play moves from end to end regularly; you’re never stuck waiting while a team goes on a long drive into the red zone on the other end of the field 120 yards away.

4. It is the fastest-paced sport. Players fly across the ice. Play stoppages are few and short. Teams only get one 30-second timeout per game. There are two universal potty/food breaks with plenty of time so you never have to miss anything, even if you have to wait in line.

5. Everyone gets plenty of turns to play during a game. Shifts last about 60 seconds.

6. Big hits are plentiful. Guys get pounded into the glass and boards every 5 seconds. But it’s okay; they wear plenty of pads. Unlike other sports where players sit out for sore elbows, back stiffness, turf toe or jammed fingers, nobody misses a hockey game due to injury unless they are dead. If you take a slap shot to the face they stitch you up and send you back on the ice for more.

7. When someone breaks a rule not only does the team have to work harder, but that someone has to go sit in the corner and think about it for a couple minutes.


8. Each team has a designated guy wearing body armor whose job is to block pucks going up to 100 mph fired right at him.

9. Face-offs, power plays, penalty kills, shootouts, and zambonis.

10. There is no “hero ball” in hockey. One player can’t skate past two defenders and get a decent shot off. It takes good teamwork and strategy.

11. Someone scores a goal and people throw an octopus (or fish, lobster or shark) onto the ice. How crazy is that? Score three goals and fans not only tip their cap, they throw it to you.

12. Assists all around.

13. Nobody cares if you have tattoos up and down your arms or crazy hair because you are completely covered from head to toe. The only way to distinguish players is by their size.

14. Hockey penalty shots are so much more interesting than soccer penalty kicks.

15. Have you seen the size of the championship trophy?

16. This video.

17. I tried to avoid it but I can’t. Everyone loves a good hockey fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment