Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Super Bowl Prediction

So this week Monday thru Friday is the most boring week of the whole year. Not because there isn't anything going on (which is almost true) but because the only thing you hear about or read is about the Super Bowl. Rehashing the same stories from two weeks ago. Dwight Freeney hurt his foot. I know. Everybody knew the minute it happened a week and a half ago. Peyton Manning is a good quarterback. I know that, too. Drew Brees has transformed a franchise. This also is not news. The Saints and Colts both started 13-0. That was news two months ago. So let's bring in every current or former NFL player or coach and ask them the same questions every half hour.

Oh well, this Sunday is the biggest sports day of the year so I'll cut ESPN et al a little slack. But I won't watch their stuff.

What I'm Really Hoping For This Super Bowl Sunday

Like I wrote last week, I have no allegiance to either team. So I'm rooting for a good game. Action, defense, offense, close score, few penalties, no controvery. Is that too much to ask for?

Who I Want to Win

My friend Ryan did reinforce my suggestion that fans of the Patriots, Titans, and Tom Brady never root for the Colts and Peyton Manning. So yes, I'm hoping for the Saints to win. I hate the "Who Dat" phrase (do these people want to emphasize that an entire city cannot speak proper English?), but the Saints are a good story in New Orleans, they've never won before, and Drew Brees has proven that he's a good quarterback that "deserves" to be a champion.

My Game Prediction

I think the Freeney injury is a huge factor in this game. With him playing hurt or without him, Indy will not be able to get pressure on Drew Brees. Sure, they might sack him once but I doubt he will get hit more than that. Give him time and he will find his targets downfield.

I have been hearing a lot this week that the Saints haved struggled on offense lately. First, may I remind you that the Saints led the NFL in points scored. They also scored 35 in the first half in their playoff game against the Cardinals and 31 more against the Vikings. This is a team that scorched New England. In the Saints' last eight games, Brees has thrown 21 touchdown passes and only 2 interceptions. Think about that stat heading into the Super Bowl. And the Saints also had the #6 run offense in the league. Is a Colts defense led by Dwight Freeney who can't even walk going to put pressure on them? Too many weapons.

The Colts have a very strong passing game, duh. The Saints do have a good pass defense though, that allowed one of the smallest completion percentages and intercepted a lot of passes, leading the NFL with 8 defensive scores. Peyton is not immune to throwing an interception; he had 17 picks this year.

Saints 24, Colts 17

Projected stats
Saints: Passing 260, Rushing 130 (390)
Colts: Passing 280, Rushing 60 (340), 1 turnover

No comments:

Post a Comment